Checklist for moving to University
Moving to University using house moving boxes is a huge step for most people. It is often the first time that you leave home, and often never return. It is the first time that you will have lived on your own, and have to take care of yourself and your new room, as well as needing to cook for yourself and do many other chores that you didn’t know existed. It is likely that you are moving to a University in a city that is far away from your home, which you won’t know very well and won’t be familiar with, so this makes the step even harder. As it is the one and only time that you will go to University, knowing exactly what you are going to need for your move can be tough. So here is our checklist for moving to University, based on past experience.
- The first thing that you need to consider is that you are only using cardboard boxes for moving into a single bedroom, probably in the halls of residence if not in a shared house. The bedroom is likely to be small as it is in a city location, so you can’t fit much in there. Also, you will have one small cupboard for your kitchen things, and that is all. It is therefore important that you don’t go overboard with the purchases before moving!
- In the bedroom you are going to need bed sheets, a duvet, and pillows. You are going to need your wash stuff, as well as a couple of towels. You will need a spare set of bed sheets too, although this isn’t entirely necessary as most students wash their bed sheets and replace them onto the bed immediately after using a tumble drier.
- You might be lucky enough to have a bedside table, so you can bring electrical equipment in cardboard boxes for moving house such as a phone charger or laptop charger, and of course you will need your laptop for work and a note pad and pen also.
- You will need a rucksack bag, or a small bag which you can use to take to your lectures with you to carrying your notes and books.
- You will need some of your clothes, but do not over pack on clothing as they will simply take up too much room that you do not have available.
- Kitchen cooking equipment is needed, so you will need a frying pan, sauce pan, as well as two sets of cutlery and two plates and bowls. Again, do not go overboard on cooking equipment as you won’t have the room.
Apart from this, you should be fully prepared for the things that you need to bring using packing boxes. It won’t take long to pack the things that have been mentioned above, and just a few boxes full should fit into a normal sized car of your parents. You are usually given a time slot on a specific date with which you are supposed to unpack and move into your room at University, and so it never takes longer than one hour to do. You should be able to park fairly close to the room if you are going to live in the halls, and with just a few packing boxes for moving, you won’t need much help.
You will need the right type of packaging materials for the task of moving too, which includes a few strong packing boxes, as well as protective bubble wrap and strong packing tape. Here at Packing Solution we offer student moving packs which are discounted and contain a variety of different sized heavy duty boxes for moving, as well as bubble wrap and tape as well, so they take the guesswork out of the move. We offer next day delivery throughout the United Kingdom, and all of our packaging is recyclable too.