The definitive start-to-finish packing guide when moving to a new place
So you have finally found your dream home, and have finally managed to sell your old house too, so now comes the tricky part: the actual house move. You have organised and bought all the cardboard packaging that you need for the job, now what?
- Firstly, when you pack the removal van, put the largest items in first. This creates more room for the smaller stuff afterwards, and means you can cram more things into the van, saving you a journey or two and a lot of time.
- Large items include washing machines, sofas and wardrobes.
- Next, go through into each room of the home with some best house moving boxes and group things together from each room by category. For example, if you had a book case in the living room, put the books into a box, write on the outside of the box to say there are books inside, and also write that they were from the living room. This may sound obvious, but it makes unpacking a lot easier!
- Make sure you group precious and delicate items together, and wrap them in bubble wrap as well for protection. You can then look after those boxes extra carefully, so ensure that nothing gets broken.
- Always drive extremely slowly to the new home, because this again will help to prevent damage and breakage.
- Pack the removal van like a jigsaw, putting as many things in as possible. This not only saves you time, but it prevents your items moving around when you drive to the new home.
- Always strap your cardboard packaging boxes to the sides of the removal van too, which again will prevent them from sliding around and breaking the contents inside.
Using the best quality packing tape will help you too, and will ensure that the seal doesn’t get broken when you carry things (which always ruins your day). Purchasing double walled stronger cartons will always be the best option for house movers, as they protect and prevent damage. Never buy too large boxes, because they can be too hard to carry when they are full of things. Pick a medium sized box, that is strong and durable, and you can fit more of those into the small gaps in the removal van too.
You can hire a lorry or a van from any local company, for less than £100, and so it is often best to do this so that you can handle your possessions yourself to prevent damage. However, if your house move is very large, then hiring a professional removal company might prove to be the best option available.
When you are transporting the removal boxes to the removal van, using a sat truck is always much easier, because it takes the weight off of the items and will make transporting easier.