How soon before moving should I start packing?
Organising a house move is one of the most stressful processes that you can go through. There are so many little things that you have to think about, and planning as early as possible is the key to success. The packing process is the most time consuming part, and if you have a large house or a cluttered house with plenty of possessions, then the task of packing becomes more and more difficult. Allowing yourself plenty of time is the best thing to do when it comes to packing, but how soon before moving should you begin packing? With many years of experience in the removals industry, here is what we have found:
- Some houses are more cluttered than others, and this will obviously vary the amount of time that it takes to pack up the house with bubble wrap packaging. We can therefore only offer an average amount of time, to give you a guideline based on averages, which you can add time to, or subtract, based on how cluttered you believe that your house is.
- In general, it takes ten packing boxes to be filled per room of the house. This includes your kitchen, living room, bedroom, dining room and every other room in your house. Some items in each room are going to be delicate, and will require wrapping in bubble wrap for packing prior to packing too which can add to the time it takes to pack. Each box will need securing shut using strong packing tape too, which again can take time.
- Each room and the possessions in each room need to be organised before they are packed away, and you will need to group certain items together to make unpacking a bit easier at the other end. You will need to write on the boxes to say which room of the house they belong in, and which possessions are included in each.
- The boxes will need to be piled neatly so that they are ready to be moved to your new home.
- All of these small tasks need to be completed as part of the packing process with high quality bubble wrap and so on average it takes one full day to pack each room of the house, with ten boxes. One full day is classified as twelve hours. So this can help you decide how much in advance you should begin packing. If you have a three bedroom house, with seven rooms in the house, then a full week before you move is a good time to start packing up your belongings.
You are always better off packing as far in advance as possible using bubble wrap suppliers UK, and make sure that you do not leave everything to the last minute. If you still have packing to do on the removal day, then it will slow everything down, and will cost you a lot more because the removal companies often charge for helping you pack. Some removal companies offer the service of packing, so that you don’t have to, but this is very expensive and they won’t be able to organise your possessions as well as you would like, and they won’t take care of your possessions as well as you would like. So we always recommend doing the packing yourself.