Tips and advice for a safe & smooth house move
Maybe you have never moved house before, or maybe it has been a long time since you last decided to move. Perhaps last time you used a removal company, where as this time you are choosing to do the job yourself to save a few extra pennies. Well you are in luck, because here are some top tips and advice for a safe and smooth house move!
- Firstly, you need to decide whether you are going to use a professional removal company to help you, or whether you are going to do it yourself using house moving boxes. You can decide based on the cost involved, and based on how big a job it is, and how many friends you have available to help you.
- Next, you will need to decide on a precise removal date. Many removal companies will charge you a fee for changing the date, so make sure you pick a precise date and can stick to it. It will depend on your exchange date of contracts with the seller of your new home, and the purchaser of your old home too.
- Now this is the most important step of all, and most people miss this out. Whether you are using a removal company or not, you absolutely must organise your things before you move and pre pack absolutely everything into cardboard boxes for house moving because it enables you to organise everything for when you unpack, but it saves you over half the time of house moving, because the pre packing takes nearly 6 hours to do on average, and so removal companies will charge hundreds of pounds extra for this, and they will not know where anything goes either.
- Always pack the larger items of your home in the removal van first. These include wardrobes, sofas and washing machines. They are heavy, and will require a few strong men to lift. Sometimes sofas and wardrobes will need to be taken apart before removing them from your home, because they may not fit out of the door frames which causes a lot of problems, so doing this prior to the removal date is a good idea too, and it makes them lighter to carry.
- Next you will need to pack all of the smaller boxes into the gaps left in the van after the larger furniture is already in there. You should try to fit as many in as possible, because not only will this save you trips back, but it ensures that nothing slides around in the van when you are driving to the new house, which will prevent damage.
- Always drive extremely slowly when you move home, to again prevent damage. You can get accessories for moving house that can help to prevent damage too, such as straps and packing string which we offer here, along with bubble wrap too, which can aid the job at hand.
- Park as close to your new front door as possible, and you will find unpacking is much easier and quicker than packing in the first place!